Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Trim Work And A Tip

 

      Hubby and I built our home and we moved in to our house in the Spring of 2009.  We actually had to move earlier than we had planned, and, at the time we had not completed ANY of the finishing work on our house.  None of the painting was completed (primer or wall color), trim was not done, fixtures in the bathrooms, closet fixtures, doors and the list goes on and on.  Part of the reason the finishing work was not done was that we just had not reached that point in the building process when we had to move, and, another large factor was money.  The budget ran dry.

      Slowly we have been working towards completing the long list of items trying to complete as much of the work on our own as possible to keep the costs in check.  Most of the painting in the house is complete.  I chose to paint the rooms in light neutral colors.  I picked these types of colors for a couple reasons.  First, the downstairs of our house is somewhat open so the neutral colors flow really well and, in my opinion, makes the sight line very appealing.  Second, I like rooms to feel bright and airy and for me these types of colors give rooms that feel.  Finally, it makes for less painting in the future.  Let’s face it, painting is not my favorite thing.  In the future if I want to change up the look of a room all I need to do is switch out some pillows and accessories and I can have a whole new look without all the effort of painting.

     Another positive of having colors that flow well together is that it has allowed us to make all of the trim work in the house white.  We have used the same style and size for every room in the house.  In order to make the process easier,my hubby paints the boards before he does any of the cutting.  He has decided to complete the downstairs trim work and then he is going to finish the caulking (make sure you use paintable caulk by the way!)  My hubby is going to write a post on the process he uses for completing the trim another day.

IMG_0172IMG_0173

     On a completely separate note, here is my tip.  Keep a shoebox with all your paint cards, fabric swatches and floor samples, etc. that you have in the house.

IMG_0175

     Whenever I pick out a paint color or fabric I put the card or swatch in my “box” and it comes in so handy as I am picking out an item for a room to be able to grab the swatches and bring them with me.  It also makes it so much easier when I need to buy more paint for a room, I just pull the paint card for that room and voila! 

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! You have made some great progress. It must feel so good to be crossing things off the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is really great to see all the progress! It is actually started to look finished downstairs! :)

      Delete